Sunday, May 11, 2008

"All for country, for glory and for flag!"

Flipping through one of my scribble pads earlier this morning I came across the following little passage, which I must have jotted down back in February or March:

"Things have not been stable for a long time now and everyone is expecting war- civil or external, to break out at any minute. The country is in serious conditions. No president, an illegitimate government without Shiite representation (after all 5 resigned in protest) and politicians and journalists live in fear of their lives. Car bombs have their home here and are the preferred method of killing unwanted critics. Every time I hear a loud explosion-like sound, I stop for just a second and wonder if I've just heard the event that will bring the crumbling facade of stability tumbling down and herald the start of a new war."

Looking back at that now, I have to smile. Even though the problems in Beirut have died down, they were just a tiny taster of what could follow unless dramatic change is brought about in this tiny and troubled land. I am beginning to realize that that change can only and will be brought about by violence- the only language the Lebanese parties seem to understand.

No comments: