Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Maps

As much as I dislike Now Lebanon for its shocking bias and for being, in essence, a mouth piece for the American administration here, they have put up some decent maps of where fighting has taken place in Lebanon. They are worth a look:
I don't like Now Lebanon's choice of word: OCCUPIED. A lot of media outlets are using this word and I have to say I don't agree. Hizbullah didn't just roll in and occupy the land for no reason. Future/Mustaqbal are making themselves out to look like innocent victims. If Mustaqbal could have won those battles, I'm sure they would be 'occupying' Beirut in the same way they claim Hizbullah has. Mustaqbal shipped in supporters from the North, without telling them they were to fight Hizbullah, and just dumped them into the mess. I do not see that as noble behaviour. Hizbullah has consistently asked for dialogue to end the presidential and political crisis, and has repeatedly said it is interested in power sharing. Furthermore, Hizbullah handed its gains over to the army- when has an occupier ever done that willingly? Okay, I can see this is rapidly turning into an incoherent, unthought-out rant so I shall stop. PS. I apologize, my writings have been crummy lately, but I am suffering from an acute case of computeritis. I can't concentrate, I feel like throwing the computer out of the window, smashing the keyboard and screaming at the top of my lungs. All this tension is rubbing off on me.

No comments: